Forums ( Back to Online Fitness Log )
Home       Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

123»»»

Best Cardio to Lose Weight? Expand / Collapse
Author

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/6/2008
I have been doing my 30-45 min cardio sessions on the elliptical trainer because it is easier on my knees. However, I heard from a couple of people recently that jogging/running will trim you down faster. I was wondering if this was true, and if it was, how I can ease my knees into a jogging/running routine? The last thing I want to do is set myself back by injuring myself. Any advice is welcome!
Post #267
Posted 6/3/2008

Last Login: 5/21/2008
The most important thing is to make sure that while you're exercising that your heart rate is in the proper zone for fat burning. http://exercise.about.com/od/cardioworkouts/ss/findtargetheart.htm Use a heart rate monitor to make sure you're burning fat and not simply burning sugar by working "too hard".
Post #268
Posted 8/6/2008

Last Login: 8/5/2008
If you go by the calorie counters on the machines, the elliptical wins over the treadmill (unless you're all out running on the treadmill for a long time!). However, I've found that swimming and bike riding beat both of those in terms of results!

Kick boxing vids and classes are awesome, too! If you're not in good shape, you may not be able to keep up with a whole video, but it's a great goal to get to! I've seen very rapid results doing kickboxing (I have knee problems, too, and just don't do the jumping and bouncing and modify the knee-snapping front kicks to knee raises).  

Post #464
Posted 8/6/2008

Last Login: 8/4/2008
The best cardio is the cardio you enjoy and will do. IMHO, I think mixing it up is the best way to burn more. It will help keep you from getting bored and you will reap the benefits of the cross training. I am a SPINNING(indoor cycling) instructor and the average calorie burn for a 45 min class is anywhere from 450-700 calorie per class. The percentage of fat to carb burn is relative to the intensity, but keep in mind that if you spend all of your time in the "fat burning zone" you will have to work longer to burn the same amount of calories then someone who is working in the "cardio zone". A calorie is a calorie and at the end of the day you want to burn more calories then the amount of calories that you took in and in turn your body will then start using it's fat stores for fuel. I hope this helps.

"Are you in, or in the way?"
Post #475
Posted 8/6/2008

Last Login: 8/6/2008
Oh lord abby, a spin instructor? More power to you for that, but I am all about staying away from those classes. My boyfriend loves them and I have tried them a couple of times, but ugg and yuck! While he trains for bike rides and the class makes total sense for him to take, I play tennis, and I just can't take the sore butt that comes with that class! I'd rather stay on a treadmill for a couple of days! Thanks for the input though!
Post #478
Posted 8/7/2008

Last Login: 8/4/2008
I understand your dislike for the discomfort of being in the saddle so, no worries. I'm not trying to sell you on anything. As I said in my original post the best cardio to do to lose weight is the cardio you like and will do on a consistent basis. If you are a tennis player, have you every tried a sports conditioning class. It is basically an interval class that will help work on your agility. There is a great calorie burn benefit to a class like this as well as a strength component. The more lean muscle that you have the the more calories you will burn in each one of you workout sessions.

"Are you in, or in the way?"
Post #479
Posted 1/17/2009

Last Login: 1/14/2009
I have been Trikking since 9/4/08 and have lost about 17 pounds. It is fun and I do it almost every day, unless it is raining.

Check out their web site.. www.trikke.com
Post #866
Posted 1/24/2009

Last Login: 3/18/2008
The fastest way to lose the fat i've found is to follow this routine.

Warm up on a treadmill for about 3 minutes at a normal walking pace.

On a scale from 1 - 10  one being sitting on the couch and a ten being the fastest your legs can go.

Run at about a 9 for 15 sec. then slow down to a 4 for 30 sec. do this seven times on Mon,Tues,Thur and Fri. on Wednesday run for 30 min staring at about a 5 and increasing it every two weeks.

As your body gets used to the routine increase the time you sprint from 15 sec to 25 to 30 to 35 so on and so on.

You'll see the results!!

Post #884
Posted 1/26/2009

Last Login: 1/26/2009
I tend to try and stay hovering between fat burning and cardio HR zones and get pretty good results (220-age x .7). Definitely mix it up so you don't get bored, and also to work different muscles. Try going backwards on an eliptical or even bumping up the incline on a treadmill to 1.0 instead of 0 to get different muscles moving and get better results. I have terrible knees so I too need to be mindful of injury. DON'T set the incline on a treadmill too high, or you may hurt yourself. Try just setting the pace at a brisk walk, turn on some music, and enjoy.
Post #889
Posted 1/27/2009

Last Login: 1/16/2009
If you want to try running/jogging but have bad knees - try using an underwater treadmill.  We have a local gym that has a few of these and is specifically designed for running/jogging with little impact.
Post #897
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -6:00, Time now is 3:37am

Execution: 0.109. 12 queries. Compression Disabled.